COMPLETE solo [ENGLISH] To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - hok

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
Basquetteur

Re: solo [ENGLISH] To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - hok

Post by Basquetteur »

Viktor wrote: Wed 18. Oct 2017, 01:30 Please have a look, it's not on the front page yet:
https://legamus.eu/blog/?p=937 (password: legamus)

Barbara, do you want to be listed with your full name instead of your nickname?

Do we have a cover yet? Would any of you like to create one? Of course this can be added any time later, too.
If there is no-one from the people involved in the reading or the legamus administrators intending to do the cover, please let me know, I can offer to make it. I have done only one cover for legamus, but more than one hundred for librivox.

Regards,

Basquetteur

My covers: https://archive.org/details/basquetteur ... orlibrivox
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh, please go for it, Basquetteur :D
"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." — Samuel Butler
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Cori wrote: Thu 26. Oct 2017, 13:03 Oh, please go for it, Basquetteur :D
Cori, thank you. I will make a cover.

I have not read the book so I will be searching for public domain images, from impressions. Glancing very quickly at the text, so far I can see that potential images could be a woman painting, painting tools, the isle of Skye.

Regards,

Basquetteur
Cori

Post by Cori »

Yes, any of those would work ... or even Godrevy Lighthouse ... that's the one that inspired the title.
"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." — Samuel Butler
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Hi!

I have now finally made the cover and uploaded it according to the tutorial at the link: http://dl.free.fr/jvpjMZYso

I hope that Cori or the administrators see this message and are able to put it at the appropriate place.

Cheers!

Basquetteur
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Basquetteur wrote: Thu 2. Nov 2017, 22:25 Hi!

I have now finally made the cover and uploaded it according to the tutorial at the link: http://dl.free.fr/jvpjMZYso

I hope that Cori or the administrators see this message and are able to put it at the appropriate place.

Cheers!

Basquetteur
Hi!

Sorry!

Please discard the cover I sent in the earlier message as it contains a misspelling of the reader's name. The corrected version is here: http://dl.free.fr/qgL0LWhEM

Regards,

Basquetteur
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hello Basquetteur,

thank you very much and sorry for the delay. It's on the front page now!

Delighted to see that dl.free.fr is actually still working. If it gives you any issue in the future, our own uploader also takes images. I can send you details about it in a PM.
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Hi Viktor!

Everything went quite smoothly, so no worries. The fact of uploading twice was only my own mistake in the design.
I used the uploader from free.fr because that is what I saw in the about legamus / tutorials, and I thought it was the way to do these things here. I have only contributed two covers, so I am a very occasional contributor. I was just trying to figure what were the equivalent practices as in librivox.
I was not aware that there was another uploader within legamus.

Despite my little experience I dare perhaps to suggest some practices for administrators to consider. One practice would be to post here in the thread of the book some of the information that would be included in the pdf of the librivox cover about the image, such as the origin of the image used (and its status as public domain with the sense of legamus, not the US public domain) and also the declaration by the designer or cover maker that the design is also public domain. I understand that the consensus here in legamus is not to include a pdf with the CD cover sleeve as in librivox.
Another practice for consideration is that the cover maker may contact the solo reader (when there is one, and not in the case of multiple readers) and ask for his/her view of including his/her name or alias or not in the cover (if space is available, if it fits and if it is convenient as judged by the cover maker). In my experience both in librivox and here, there are also good suggestions about images or hints from readers who know very well the book and have dedicated many hours to read and record it. Of course this contact would be for the cases when the cover maker is different than the reader and the BC. This might be something rare. However, I must confess I have not followed this practice I preach about the discussion of the inclusion of the name in one of my two contributions (simply because I forgot about it).

While I am in this suggesting spree, I could also offer to make a simple provisional legamus placeholder cover, something similar to the one in librivox here: Image.
Of course, first there would have to be the decision if this provisional placeholder cover is something desirable, and then, only afterwards, if so, decide if me or anyone else would do it.
I see that there are some legamus audiobooks without covers. I think that producing audiobooks without covers is fine, particularly with the legamus blog format for the catalog. The temporary placeholder cover would indicate simply that there is an intention of making one in the near future. In the cases of not having the intention of having a cover, then there would be nothing.

Sorry for writing too much for may be so little.

Regards,

Basquetteur
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Thank you for your thoughts Basquetteur.

I agree with you on the cover information. We should keep a record of the artist's name and death date to make sure that the picture is in the public domain. A link to the picture source would be good too. Could you post these informations here, please?

Other than on LV the reader has the last word on the cover here. So yes, it is good practise to ask the readers if they want their name on it or not. And if they like the picture at all.

I don't think that we need a cover place holder as long as our catalog looks the way it does. But that's only my personal opinion. It would be only one small extra step to put it in.
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Hi,

Regarding the picture information, and for the record, as discussed:

The image in the cover of to the Lighthouse is an edited small fragment of this painting in wikimedia commons:

"The brig Selina Jane calling for a pilot off an island lighthouse, possibly Godrevy, Cornwall"

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... (1868).jpg

Author of the painting: Charles Ogilvy (British, 1832-1890)

Regards,

Basquetteur
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Thank you, Basquetteur, for the other one too.