ee cummings
Newgatenovelist

Re: solo [ENGLISH] The Guermantes Way by Marcel Proust - vik

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Section 38 is spot PL OK.
Tuberous Chairs

Post by Tuberous Chairs »

Newgatenovelist wrote: Sun 16. Oct 2022, 15:32 Section 38 is spot PL OK.
Thank you for doing that. Section 39 is now uploaded.
"why,he used to say to his friends,he used
"for getting a debutante give me Prused""

ee cummings
Newgatenovelist

I have one optional pronunciation note for 39 - otherwise, entirely PL OK.

38.32-38.35
But the Duke was less erudite than arrogant.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... sh/erudite
The free Collins dictionary is saying there is a difference between the American English pronunciation (which is, I think, what I heard) and the British English pronunciation. It’s a pretty minor distinction, but you’re so careful with your sections that I thought I’d mention it.

I run the files through Checker as a backup to check the technical side of things, and this came out at 86.1 dB. That's fine, but it is on the cusp of being too quiet for LV (and I'm guessing that Legamus uses broadly similar parameters).
Tuberous Chairs

Section 40 now (finally) uploaded.

ee cummings
Newgatenovelist

Section 40 is PL OK.
Tuberous Chairs

Thank you.

Sections 41 and 42 now uploaded (there are advantages in being signed off work with COVID - I had time to edit, once I was well enough to move without needing to lie down straight away to get my breath back!).

With Section 39 I'm going to leave "erudite" as is. However, I've run the Audacity recording through Compressor again and re-uploaded so it should be louder. I do check MP3 files with Checker but (so far) I've just been paying attention to whether they pass, not going into the information, unless there are warnings.

ee cummings
Newgatenovelist

Section 39 is spot PL OK.

Section 41 is PL OK. I feel I ought to mention that Checker is flagging it as having 'a moderate level of background noise' (41.7 dB, it usually starts flagging files at around 40 dB), especially as section 42's background noise is, according to Checker, 28.3 dB. (I have Checker on the more sensitive settings, so that might be it.) It's not a problem whatever you decide, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you intended to do a round of noise cleaning.

Section 42 has one pronunciation for you to double check:
1.02-1.04
...a granddaughter of the Duke of Modena,...
https://forvo.com/search/modena/it/
and 1.13-1.15
...and went to form with Damas and Modena...

That's all the functional stuff. Please, please, please go slowly with COVID, even after you think you don't need to. It's a brutal virus.
Tuberous Chairs

41 noise cleaned and reuploaded. 42 Modena pronunciation corrected.

I have now recorded to the end (editing will take a while). I want to continue and think Cities of the Plain is now PD in the US. If it is, do you think I should switch to LibriVox or stick to Legamus and would you be prepared to proof listen?

I have an idea for the Guermantes cover - Mary Cassatt's "In the Loge" (woman at theatre using opera glasses being watched by a man with opera glasses, with an out of focus old woman in the picture too).

ee cummings
Newgatenovelist

Sections 41 and 42 are spot PL OK.

I'm not quite sure what will determine LV or Legamus for the next Proust. As far as I understand, if it's PD in the US it automatically goes to LV, and Legamus is (or perhaps was originally) intended for books in the odd hinterland of PD in Europe but not yet PD in the US. However, I am not an admin and if you're in doubt it's probably best to seek official advice. The other consideration, I'm assuming, is releasing it into the PD or as a non-commercial audiobook. As far as that goes, it's very much a matter of your preference. The only other point I can think of at this stage is what text you might use. LV tends to be a bit less willing to accept PGA sources, but I've not checked Hathi or the IA. Apologies for all of these responses being very preliminary.

I like the Mary Cassatt image for the cover, it does seem fitting. Do you design your own cover art? I've tried using GIMP on and off but I'm still very much at the amateur stage.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hello!

If the next book is compatible with LV, then it's best to continue over there. That was always the idea, to the point that when Legamus works become compatible with LV, we try to copy them there (in addition to keeping them on Legamus).

If however the text is not "PD enough" for LV, then you are most welcome back here!
Legamus is (or perhaps was originally) intended for books in the odd hinterland of PD in Europe but not yet PD in the US.
That's right, I would just add: the odd hinterland of PD not only in Europe, but in life+70 countries. So with few exceptions, the rest of the world :) Though today it's mostly Europeans, indeed.
Tuberous Chairs

Sections 43 and 44 uploaded.

I designed the cover for LibriVox (Pliny's Letters). I chose and uploaded the image for Within a Budding Grove (Legamus) but somebody else did the rest. And both of those were years back so I don't remember what I did. I assume instructions as to how to create a cover are somewhere on the Legamus website but I couldn't find them.

ee cummings
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Not sure there are any instructions :) "Just do it so it looks good for you and a bit similar to the others".
Do you have already chosen a picture for this book? If you have, I'm happy to put titles over it.
Newgatenovelist

I've two possible pronunciation notes for you:

Section 43
35.18-35.24
..."you are alluding to an order of nomenclature with which I have no concern.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... menclature

Section 44
5.16-5.28
...could not be essentially so heterogeneous to that of her congeners as M. de Charlus made out, nor so heterogeneous to that of any one other woman in society.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... erogeneous

I will throw this question out into the open, but there is no rush - if you've had a chance to look, have you found a PD text?