Hosting

FAQ, comments and suggestions
Viktor

Hosting

Post by Viktor »

Hello everybody,

our catalogue and the forum are hosted by https://tuxfamily.org and it went well for many years. As you can see from their "recent news", they had a few longer outages in the last months, including a full week in October.

The uploader and downloader are on my own server and were not affected.

I could also host catalogue and forum on the same server. So far I did not do that, as I was quite happy not to be responsible for everything alone :) Of course there would also be minor downtimes there, even if no problem occurs, just for updates and upgrades - unless there is a full-blown "High Availability" setup with databases and web sites spread across several servers. Which is a cool side project for a hypothetical future with lots of free time, but we probably don't need it right now.

I suggest that we stay with TuxFamily, they are competent people and just got a bit unlucky. I will however increase the frequency of backups, in case disaster strikes and we need to move elsewhere in a hurry.
Viktor

Re: Hosting

Post by Viktor »

There was another outing at Tuxfamily, it is still ongoing.

Taking advantage of a backup from March 31st, I have moved both catalogue and forum to my own server.
Most things should work, some do not: most forum avatars are missing, and a few 404 errors in the Network Console. I don't know about e-mails yet.

Please tell me if anything else is not working as expected.

There will be small maintenance windows, for updates and for finishing this installation, but hopefully we won't have long outages on this server - apart from, of course, a hard disk crash or similar disaster.