Suitability of book?

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Newgatenovelist

Suitability of book?

Post by Newgatenovelist » Sun 5. Nov 2017, 23:13

Hello lovely Legamus members,

I'd like to ask about recording a book here. It's called Poems of Puncture, and it's by Amanda McKittrick Ros.

I recently tried to launch a project on Librivox. It was not available online, and the image of the title page does not have a year.

As far as I can work out from looking at the catalogues of British and Irish deposit libraries, the book was originally published in 1912 or possibly 1913. I believe it had a low print run and wasn't reprinted. If anyone wishes to see the title page, it's here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aKM84 ... nfV1yY8EGo

The Librivox admins said that it was probably okay but expressed concern that, if I were to record it for Librivox, that might set a precedent for other works without clear dates of publication. Recording it here was suggested as a possible solution. So, after all of that, I'd like to ask if it would be okay to record it here. If you have any questions or need a different image, please ask.

Erin

Cori

Re: Suitability of book?

Post by Cori » Tue 7. Nov 2017, 13:27

That sounds completely fine to me -- we work off date of death (unless there's obvious complications such as the book not having been published in the author's lifetime.) In this case, it's pretty straightforward though. :D
"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." — Samuel Butler

Newgatenovelist

Re: Suitability of book?

Post by Newgatenovelist » Tue 7. Nov 2017, 22:45

Ah, thank you. That makes sense. I thought it would be a bit complicated, since it's a more obvious 'fit' for Librivox, but I'm glad it isn't too tricky! I'll launch it soon.