Disclaimer

FAQ, comments and suggestions
RuthieG

Re: Disclaimer

Post by RuthieG »

I suppose we need slightly different disclaimers for the different licences:

No Rights Reserved
CC0

This recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose.

(Waives all rights)

---------------------------------

Attribution
CC BY

This recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose, as long as the reader/Legamus is credited.

(This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation)

Attribution-ShareAlike
CC BY-SA

This recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose, as long as the reader/Legamus is credited and any new creation is licensed under the same terms.

(All new works based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also allow commercial use.)

Attribution-NoDerivs
CC BY-ND

This recording may be freely distributed, complete and unchanged - including this intro.

(This license allows for redistribution, commercial and non-commercial, as long as it is passed along unchanged and in whole, with credit to you.)

Attribution-NonCommercial
CC BY-NC

This recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any non-commercial purpose, as long as the reader/Legamus is credited.

(This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don’t have to license their derivative works on the same terms.)

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
CC BY-NC-SA

This recording may be distributed and adapted freely for non-commercial purposes, as long as the reader/Legamus is credited and any new creation is licensed under the same terms.

(All new works based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also allow non-commercial use.)

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
CC BY-NC-ND

This recording may be freely distributed for non-commercial purposes, complete and unchanged - including this intro.

(This allows others to download your works and share them with others as long as they credit you, but they can’t change them in any way or use them commercially.)

Feel free to adapt, suggest, disagree and point out any mistakes. :) I imagine that only two or three of these licenses will be used here, in any case. They are really only deterrents anyway. I think it highly unlikely that anyone (even me) would ever take any action if breached.

Ruth
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

kattekliek wrote: "This recording may be spread freely, if on a non-commercial basis, complete and unchanged - including this intro"
It sounds much better! But I have to think about a German translation. Legal speech translates much easier, sounds horrible, what ever you do ;-)
... could we use the LV-text? "For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: legamus DOT e-u"
Sounds OK in English. The German version of the LV disclaimer says: Hinweise zur Beteiligung an diesem Project ... (there is no word with the same meaning as volunteer in German, literally translated not even a verb)
Took me a while to decipher that Beteiligung means actually recording ;-)
"Wanna help" would be "Willste helfen" *shudder* That doesn't work in German :lol:

I just see Ruth's post.
Thank you so much! Angel of English language!
Will think about some German translations ...
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

On first glance the disclaimers in Ruthie's post look fine, although I think we should not put every one up in the standard text (too much choices). We could put up the CC0 ( Public Domain) and CC BY-NC-SA (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike), and refer legamateers (;)) by a link to the rest in case they would wish to use them. This would only be necessary for solo projects; group projects need one license (on which we should decide, e.g. CC0 or CC-BY (attribution)?!)
... could we use the LV-text? "For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: legamus DOT e-u"
Sounds OK in English. The German version of the LV disclaimer says: Hinweise zur Beteiligung an diesem Project ... (there is no word with the same meaning as volunteer in German, literally translated not even a verb)
"Wanna help" would be "Willste helfen" *shudder* That doesn't work in German :lol:
LOL, no, that's not very suitable! But of course we can use the more formal 'Would you like to help?' and translations of that will probably not sound so terrible.
Hokuspokus wrote:Will think about some German translations ...
I'll make Dutch translations ASAP (= not in the coming weeks, I'm afraid)
algy pug

Post by algy pug »

Just a suggestion about disclaimers for group projects: I think it would be easier if the disclaimer for each section was read by the BC. It would provide for consistency and readers would not have to worry about finding out which licence was being used.

Cheers

Algy Pug
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I think the problem with that is that we want to make sure the readers understand what their recordings can or cannot be used for.
We don't want anyone coming and saying: "hey I never said I wanted this to be PD!"
But I agree that the BC should choose the licence for the whole work.
Nadine
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I thought that only soloist can choose a license and group projects will all be pd, CC0.
The right text for the disclaimer will be in the first post, anyway.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Oh yes, you're right :oops:

I seem to be loosing my head these days. :|
Nadine
Cleogirl

Post by Cleogirl »

Yikes! I just checked out the disclaimer link from the New Projects Launch Pad forum and read this thread. RuthieG's link to Amazon.com blew me away. I'm obviously naive, but I really had no idea that companies like this one (already oozing money) were in the habit of swooping in and making easy cash from the travails of volunteers.

And, while I certainly don't anticipate commercial interest in any of the projects I do, I will nonetheless use the disclaimer that prohibits any commercial use of recordings I look forward to doing for Legamus.

Cheers
Cleogirl
Cathy (Cate) Barratt
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Cleogirl wrote:RuthieG's link to Amazon.com blew me away. I'm obviously naive, but I really had no idea that companies like this one (already oozing money) were in the habit of swooping in and making easy cash from the travails of volunteers.
Amazon seems to be just the selling platform; it's small entities like "allindeals" which "produce" those MP3 CDs. And, I think, some readers even like this way of "distribution" as long as the fee is not too high. I don't like it, as it is quite obvious why "LibriVox" is mentioned nowhere! At least they do mention the reader. :D

What IS nasty about Amazon's presentation, is that they include reviews from the paper editions for the audiobook, too! Gives much credit to the rip-off MP3 CDs.
J_N

Post by J_N »

Hokuspokus wrote:
kattekliek wrote: "This recording may be spread freely, if on a non-commercial basis, complete and unchanged - including this intro"
It sounds much better! But I have to think about a German translation. Legal speech translates much easier, sounds horrible, what ever you do ;-)

I just see Ruth's post.
Thank you so much! Angel of English language!
Will think about some German translations ...
Hokuspokus, are there any German translations yet? If not, I could probably help with that :)
e.g. "Für weitere Informationen oder um mitzuhelfen, besuch(en Sie) uns doch unter: legamus PUNKT eu"

PS: Is it just me or are these smileys kinda creepy? :shock:
Julia
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

This is what I say in my solo:
"Abschnitt # von Der Engel vom westlichen Fenster von Gustav Meyrink, gelesen für Legamus.eu
Diese Aufnahme darf frei weitergegeben und für jeden Zweck verwendet werden."

At the End of the last section I'm going to say: Ende von Der Engel vom westlichen Fenster. Gelesen von Hokuspokus für Legaumus.eu. Weitere Informationen und Hinweise zur Beteiligung an diesem project gibt es bei Legamus.eu.

Now that I think of it, I should add this to the intro of the first section, too.

To me the smileys look totally normal (for egg shaped smileys from outer space) :mrgreen: