Solo[ENGLISH]The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers-ne

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
ashleighjane

Solo[ENGLISH]The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers-ne

Post by ashleighjane »

The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers (1884 - 33)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://legamus.eu/blog/?p=126

The novel deals with the murder of a former member of Boston society who has lived in Hawaiʻi for a number of years. The main character is the victim's nephew, a straitlaced young Bostonian bond trader, who came to the islands to try to convince his aunt Minerva, whose vacation has extended many months, to return to Boston. The nephew, John Quincy Winterslip, soon falls under the spell of the islands himself, meets an attractive young woman, breaks his engagement to his straitlaced Bostonian fiancee Agatha, and decides after the murder is solved to move to San Francisco. In the interval, he is introduced to many levels of Hawaiian society and is of some assistance to Detective Charlie Chan in solving the mystery. (Summary by Wikipedia)
Text source: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200671.txt (please only read from this text!)

DPL:

How to claim a chapter?
Choose a chapter that has no reader assigned yet. Click on POSTREPLY at the bottom of this page to answer to this topic.

List of chapters
(Book Coordinator, please fill in all chapters of the book and keep track of claims and recordings here.)

Magic Window - Google.doc

About recording:
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
housewithoutkey_##_biggers.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. housewithoutkey_01_biggers.mp3)

Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, please ask). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Earl Derr Biggers
Album: The House Without a Key
Genre: Speech
Track Number: Section Number (if sections are numbered from 1, section +1, if sections are numbered from 0)

How to upload your file:
Please read this tutorial: http://legamus.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=148
When your file is uploaded, you will get a link. Please post the link here.

And now?
Please check for new posts in this thread until your section has been prooflistened.

Happy recording

*** Beginning of list ***
Solo / Group project?: Solo
Book Title: The House Without a key
Author: Earl Derr Biggers
Dates of birth and death of author: August 24, 1884 – April 5, 1933
Language: English
Date of first publication: 1925
Number of sections the project will have: (please note that the sections should be less than 70 minutes long) 23
Does the project have a preface that will be recorded as a separate section? no
Category (Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama): mystery
Tags that describe the book (like: place, time, historical people/events, mystery, fairy tale, horror/ghost story, philosophy, ... : 1920, mystery, Hawaii
Summary for the catalog (from Wikipedia or written by you): The novel deals with the murder of a former member of Boston society who has lived in Hawaiʻi for a number of years. The main character is the victim's nephew, a straitlaced young Bostonian bond trader, who came to the islands to try to convince his aunt Minerva, whose vacation has extended many months, to return to Boston. The nephew, John Quincy Winterslip, soon falls under the spell of the islands himself, meets an attractive young woman, breaks his engagement to his straitlaced Bostonian fiancee Agatha, and decides after the murder is solved to move to San Francisco. In the interval, he is introduced to many levels of Hawaiian society and is of some assistance to Detective Charlie Chan in solving the mystery. (Summary by Wikipedia)
Online text source: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200671.txt

*** End of list ***
The rest of this template will be filled in by your Meta Coordinator (MC)
Last edited by ashleighjane on Sun 6. May 2012, 15:41, edited 15 times in total.
neckertb

Re: Solo [ENGLISH] The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Bigg

Post by neckertb »

Just so you know, we have not quite figured out the disclaimer part yet, so feel free to start recording but you might have to add/change it at some point (the disclaimer, not the recording).

I'll leave this be for now, in case someone else wants it (I have one project already :wink:). It sounds very nice, and if I was not already far behind on all kinds of things, I'd want to DPL... Well, I will for the next one maybe :)
Nadine
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Oh, well, if no one else wants it, I will take it.

Now a DPL would be nice :)
Nadine
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

neckertb wrote:Oh, well, if no one else wants it, I will take it.

Now a DPL would be nice :)
Haha, ok :lol: Thanks :D

And yes, they would 8-)
neckertb

Re: Solo[ENGLISH]The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Bigger

Post by neckertb »

When you upload, please collect the delete links they provide as well and pm them to me please. I'll save them a safe place :)
Nadine
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

I would like to be DPL! I need to read along with texts in English to make sure there are no mistakes in the reading. So that's why I hesitated ... But my husband bought me an ebook reader 8-) and it's perfect for taking the text and MP3's on holiday (beginning of July). Would be great if you can offer some recordings by then ;) Before that I do not have so much time due to us moving a few weeks from now and we're busy preparing all that.
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

kattekliek wrote:I would like to be DPL! I need to read along with texts in English to make sure there are no mistakes in the reading. So that's why I hesitated ... But my husband bought me an ebook reader 8-) and it's perfect for taking the text and MP3's on holiday (beginning of July). Would be great if you can offer some recordings by then ;) Before that I do not have so much time due to us moving a few weeks from now and we're busy preparing all that.
That would be great :D I've just finished editing the first chapter so it should be uploaded soon, but it doesn't really matter when it gets listened to 8-)

I'm going on holiday for a week on the second of July so won't be able to record then since recordings made on my netbook sound atrocious :( Hopefull I will be able to upload a few chapters before then though.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

We are now in Readers Found!
Nadine
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Chapter 1 is uploaded.

Nadine, I will PM the links to you in a sec :)
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Downloading ... If you wish, I'll find time to PL the first file this week. Otherwise I'll keep it for my holiday.
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

kattekliek wrote:Downloading ... If you wish, I'll find time to PL the first file this week. Otherwise I'll keep it for my holiday.
I honestly don't mind, PL whenever is most convenient to you :D
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

OK!
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

The link to chapter two is in the first post now. I didn't use that French site this time. i don't think it likes me. :twisted:
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Thanks, downloading at this moment ... :)
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

The link to chapter 3 is now in the first post :)
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

I logged in at work, just to let you know I'm still alive ;) We moved to our new appartment last Tuesday, all went well, but we are still having some troubles getting the internet connection working. Hopefully this evening or tomorrow it will be fixed ...

I downloaded all four sections for PL during my holiday. I'll download any new one I'll see on Sunday the latest (provided our internet will be working again, otherwise I'll be online on Friday morning for the last time - I'll let you know).
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

kattekliek wrote:I logged in at work, just to let you know I'm still alive ;) We moved to our new appartment last Tuesday, all went well, but we are still having some troubles getting the internet connection working. Hopefully this evening or tomorrow it will be fixed ...

I downloaded all four sections for PL during my holiday. I'll download any new one I'll see on Sunday the latest (provided our internet will be working again, otherwise I'll be online on Friday morning for the last time - I'll let you know).

I myself am going on holiday on Saturday. I'm not sure if I will be able to get any recording done between now and then :(
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

OK, I'll just have a look this weekend and PL anything that'll be available then. (internet at home is working again, BTW :D )
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Have a nice holiday all of you then *envious look, still stuck in the lab with no AC, getting close to 32 degrees in here*
Nadine
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

neckertb wrote:Have a nice holiday all of you then *envious look, still stuck in the lab with no AC, getting close to 32 degrees in here*
Thanks Nadine :) Hopefully the weather will stay nice

32 degrees? :shock: I'm glad it doesn't get that warm over here to often.