Complete [ENGLISH] The Prophet by Khalil Gibran-neb

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
RuthieG

Complete [ENGLISH] The Prophet by Khalil Gibran-neb

Post by RuthieG »

The Prophet by Khalil Gibran/Kahlil Gibran (1883 – 1931)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://legamus.eu/blog/?p=76

Summary: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prophe ... 9"><em>The Prophet</em></a> is the best known work of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalil_Gibran">Khalil Gibran</a> (1883-1931), also known as Kahlil Gibran, a Lebanese American poet and artist.

The poetic prose of <em>The Prophet</em> has delighted readers for generations, and the book became particularly popular in the 1960s. Al-Mustafa the prophet, who has lived abroad for many years, is about to board a ship home when he is stopped by a group of people with whom he discusses many aspects of life and the human condition, including love, children, freedom, reason and passion, pain, self-knowledge and death. (Summary by Ruth Golding and Wikipedia)

<em>The Prophet</em> was published in 1923 with its USA copyright renewed in 1951, and it thus remains in copyright in the USA until 2019. The work is, however, in the public domain in all countries which observe copyright protection for 70 years after the author's death.

This recording is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Licence (CC BY-NC-SA) which means that it may be distributed and adapted freely for non-commercial purposes in countries where the original text is in the public domain, as long as Legamus is credited and any new creation is licensed under the same terms.

Text source: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200061h.html (please only read from this text!)

List of chapters
(Book Coordinator, please fill in all chapters of the book and keep track of claims and recordings here.)
## chapter title - - - link to recording - - - PL notes
01 - Section 1 http://ge.tt/8SLNqDC 47:22 43.3 MB
02 - Section 2 http://ge.tt/9O52jHC?c 44:35 40.8 MB

About recording:
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
prophet_#_gibran.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. prophet_1_gibran.mp3)

Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, please ask). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Khalil Gibran
Album: The Prophet
Genre: Speech
Track Number: Section Number (if sections are numbered from 1, section +1, if sections are numbered from 0)

How to upload your file:
Please read this this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=148
When your file is uploaded, you will get a link. Please post the link here.

And now?
Please check for new posts in this thread until your section has been prooflistened.

Happy recording :)
=======================================================
Solo
Book Title: The Prophet
Author: Khalil Gibran/Kahlil Gibran (take your pick)
Dates of birth and death of author: (1883 – 1931)
Language: English
Translator: N/A
Dates of birth and death of translator: N/A
Date of first publication: 1923
Number of sections the project will have: 2
Does the project have a preface that will be recorded as a separate section? NO
Category (On second thoughts) Non-fiction
Tags that describe the book Prose poem, mysticism, life, religion, philosophy, essays, poetic
Summary for the catalog (from Wikipedia): (Temporary) The Prophet is a book of 26 poetic essays written in English by the Lebanese artist, philosopher and writer Kahlil Gibran. The prophet Al-Mustafa, who has lived in the foreign city of Orphalese for 12 years, is about to board a ship which will carry him home. He is stopped by a group of people, with whom he discusses many issues of life and the human condition.
Online text source: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200061h.html

*** End of list ***
The rest of this template will be filled in by your Meta Coordinator (MC)

Ruth
Last edited by RuthieG on Tue 17. Jan 2012, 00:57, edited 10 times in total.
neckertb

Re: Solo [ENGLISH] The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

Post by neckertb »

In the autumn hey? I'm having a hard time restraining myself as well...
Nadine
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Hmmm.... it's a bit hard isn't it? There are so many other things I should be doing. But this is half-recorded already. :lol: It's a very addictive little book.

Ruth
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I'll set this up as soon as the kids are in bed, Ruth. Is it ok if I leave you the chapter titles to fill in? You know the drill, and that gives you some leeway :)
Nadine
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Yes, of course. Thank you! It doesn't have any chapters actually - it is just a case of finding a suitable place to split into two sections. (It's only 12,000 words.)

Ruth
neckertb

Re: Solo [ENGLISH] The Prophet by Khalil Gibran-neb

Post by neckertb »

Yes, I realised after posting that it was quite short.
The first post is ready, now we just need a DPL, anyone? :mrgreen:
Nadine
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I've taken out the bit about the translator, because there wasn't one. It was originally written in English. :)
Leni

Post by Leni »

I can DPL.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Thanks Leni!
We are now in Readers Found :)
Nadine
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

All done, but I won't upload until the disclaimer/outro thing is settled. :)

EDIT: Oh, I see that Andy has uploaded his, so I will too.

Ruth
Last edited by RuthieG on Thu 9. Jun 2011, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

RuthieG wrote:All done, but I won't upload until the disclaimer/outro thing is settled. :)

EDIT: Oh, I see that Andy has uploaded his, so I will too.

Ruth
It is always possible to change the intro/outro later on. The poll that I set up lately, is already giving some clues, but let's have it run until 14 days after its start (19th of June, if I say by heart) and then discuss the results and adjust the intro/outro accordingly.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Both uploaded, but one has been waiting over an hour for the antivirus scan - is this normal? And can I close the browser before it does it?

Ruth
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I have used it a couple of times and I remember it is quite slow. Wondering if it would go faster to make a zip file if you have multiple files to upload...
I don't think it is a good idea to close the browser though. But I've never tried.
Nadine
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I had to close the browser, but one of them came through after 3 hours. Who knows, the other one may turn up before I go to bed. ;)

Section 1 http://dl.free.fr/gxkEdx1cJ 46:21 42.4 MB

EDIT: And before I logged out - TA-RA!!

Section 2 http://dl.free.fr/t2k5uQ1Xl 46:27 42.5 MB

--------------------------------------
Section 1
4:44 typo: 'slough' should be 'plough'

Section 2
8:06 typo: 'unclaimed' should be 'unacclaimed'
26:32 typo: 'slough' should be 'plough'
36:49 typo: 'made unto you faith' should be 'made unto your faith'

Ruth
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Aha, I just remembered MCs should back up all files...
I wanted to buy a Time Capsule to have enough space, but it turns out the government has cut down so much on cultural things, that my husband's full time job as a music teacher suddenly has become a half time job... :evil:
I have space for some, but it won't be that many I guess.
Nadine
Leni

Post by Leni »

Going to PL soon!
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

neckertb wrote:Aha, I just remembered MCs should back up all files...
I wanted to buy a Time Capsule to have enough space, but it turns out the government has cut down so much on cultural things, that my husband's full time job as a music teacher suddenly has become a half time job... :evil:
I have space for some, but it won't be that many I guess.
Annoying 'popular' governments ... Also over here they are going to cut enormously from the cultural budget :( I hope your family will cope with the loss of half your husband's income!

These are just static backups; perhaps you have 4 GB left for this at your harddrive, and could burn everything to DVD once it will become too much? DVD's are not very expensive and when keeping a good administration, it shouldn't be hard to find a certain book when needed.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

You won't need to back up mine - I keep many back-ups. ;)

Sorry to hear about your husband's job. :( It is a worrying time for everyone in this economic downturn.

Ruth
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Yeah, it sucks... Problem is there's no amelioration in sight, so he has to think about reconverting :shock: at his age!

Regarding the backup, still I'll back up your files, what if something happens to one of us?
Could you also send me a pm with the delete links? Just in case we ever want to pull the recordings out...

DVDs... will do in the beginning, but I'd so much like a time capsule :(
Nadine
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

For private backups (no public links) we can use personal storage from any country, e.g. the 25 GB from Microsoft's SkyDrive. Of course, such repetitive uploads are annoying if your Internet connection is not too fast.

Anyway I plan on keeping a private copy of the "finished recording" in my role of a "storage admin". Just tell me if I should already keep copies of the parts, no problem!