Re: solo [ENG] The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath by HPL -jn

Post by Piotrek »

Chapter 7 is PL OK.
And so is chapter 8.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Section 9 is PL OK.
By the way, I noticed that the original text is not divided into chapters. Was it difficult for you to find cut-off points?
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Piotrek wrote:Section 9 is PL OK.
By the way, I noticed that the original text is not divided into chapters. Was it difficult for you to find cut-off points?
No, the way I did it was quite simple. The whole piece is about 43,000 words long; I just split it into sections of about 4,300 words each. I was concerned at first that the breakpoints might seem artificial, but I don't think they do. I did move some of the breakpoints up or down a paragraph or two, to places that had more of an "end of chapter" feel to them. That accounts for the small differences in the lengths of the sections.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

I'm now reading a solo at LV where I have to do a lot of dividing and it's often tricky because there's often one long scene with lots of conversations seamlessly following one another. In fact I'm struggling with one such decision right now. I even decided to record both chapters at one go and postpone the decision until after I'm done with editing.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Section 10 is PL OK :)
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Piotrek wrote:I'm now reading a solo at LV where I have to do a lot of dividing and it's often tricky because there's often one long scene with lots of conversations seamlessly following one another. In fact I'm struggling with one such decision right now. I even decided to record both chapters at one go and postpone the decision until after I'm done with editing.
If there's no good place to break the scene in two, I would just go ahead and break it at the best place by length. I don't think listeners mind that too much; we're all aware of the constraints of the medium. I remember back in the days of vinyl LPs, recordings I heard of Beethoven's Eroica Symphony broke the Funeral March in two, with an arbitrary fade-out at the end of Side 1 and a fade-in at the start of Side 2. Everyone understood; until CDs came along, there was simply no other way to get the whole symphony on one platter.
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Piotrek wrote:Section 10 is PL OK :)
Ok, that's great. Thank you again for PLing this one. I guess we have to rouse Viktor now, to move on to the cataloguing phase. I think all the information needed for that is in place, but he'll let us know. :)
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

mreyto wrote:I guess we have to rouse Viktor now
Thanks for that! I do read the feed of all messages, but I sometimes miss when a particular "PL OK" means "this was the last chapter, project is ready for catalogging".

Download page will be ready tonight.

Edit: here we are: http://listen.legamus.eu/lovecraft_dreamquestkadath/
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Viktor wrote: Download page will be ready tonight.

Edit: here we are: http://listen.legamus.eu/lovecraft_dreamquestkadath/
That's great, thank you. But shouldn't we also list it on the Legamus main page and move this whole thread over to "Completed Projects"?

Oh, and a question... I notice some of the main page entries are accompanied by very attractive illustrations. How do we come by these? Could we get one for Kadath?
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

mreyto wrote:That's great, thank you. But shouldn't we also list it on the Legamus main page and move this whole thread over to "Completed Projects"?
I guess we have to rouse J_N now :mrgreen:
Oh, and a question... I notice some of the main page entries are accompanied by very attractive illustrations. How do we come by these? Could we get one for Kadath?
That's lovely manual work from a skillful person who cares about this book. Could be you, could be anyone. No automatism involved.
J_N

Post by J_N »

So very sorry... I didn't realize this was done - I'll get to cataloguing right away :oops:

Thanks for the PM, Viktor :)

Edit: or maybe not - I can't access the blog at the moment for some reason... will try again later :)
Julia
J_N

Post by J_N »

This project is now complete!

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://legamus.eu/blog/?p=559

If you (or anyone else) would like to create a cover, just let me know and I'll add it when you are done :)
Julia
J_N

Re: [COMPLETE] The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath by HPL -jn

Post by J_N »

I just realized: I catalogued it on his birthday - how fitting :D
Julia
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

J_N wrote:I just realized: I catalogued it on his birthday - how fitting :D
So you did! That's fitting indeed. What a great present for him :D

Happy Birthday, Howard! from your pals at Legamus.
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

J_N wrote: If you (or anyone else) would like to create a cover, just let me know and I'll add it when you are done :)
I lack the skill to make a good cover, but I've found some fantastic images licensed under Creative Commons for "use, share, and change". Do you think it would be ok to use one of them if credit the artist, give a link to the original, and mention that we cropped/resized it to fit our dimension needs?
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

That's what Creative Commons are there for!
Which one exactly is it, BY ? BY-NC ? Both should be fine for this purpose.

All you have to do is mention the original creator of the work. You do not even have to contact him and tell him you did something (although he might be happy to hear it). And of course, your derived work cannot be more "liberal" than the original licence (e.g. the cover cannot be CC0 itself).
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Viktor wrote:That's what Creative Commons are there for!
Which one exactly is it, BY ? BY-NC ? Both should be fine for this purpose.
I was looking at several yesterday, and they were actually a mix of various types of licensing. Today I looked at some more, and the ones I seem to be drawn to most are paintings by the 19th-century American artist Albert Bierstadt. According to Wikipedia these are in the public domain for the US. Bierstadt died in 1902.

Here's the link to the article on Bierstadt, which includes a few paintings that might serve.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Bierstadt

The one I'm partial to is "A Storm in the Rocky Mountains". I've cropped a square from the left edge using the height of the full-sized image, and I think it works quite well. What do you think?
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Great choice of picture!

All you need to do is to write author and title somehow in it. Alternatively, if you dislike the writing on the picture, leave a margin for writing. You can add your name, and/or "legamus.eu" if you like, just look at the other covers we have.

If you prefer, I can also do it in a few days.

All the best,
Viktor.
mreyto

Post by mreyto »

Viktor wrote:Great choice of picture!

All you need to do is to write author and title somehow in it. Alternatively, if you dislike the writing on the picture, leave a margin for writing. You can add your name, and/or "legamus.eu" if you like, just look at the other covers we have.

If you prefer, I can also do it in a few days.

All the best,
Viktor.
I'll give it a try, Viktor. How can I upload the picture to you when I'm done?
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

The uploader accepts JPEG and PNG files, too. :)