Domain name

FAQ, comments and suggestions
kattekliek

Re: Domain name

Post by kattekliek »

bart wrote:Hello everyone,

I like the name Legamus but still I'm in favor of LibriVox.eu.
The reason is simple: for people who know LibriVox it's immediately clear what we stand for.
That gives us a better start than if we would start from scratch.
And there are no legal problems. Gutenberg has proven that.

Bart
Hi Bart! :)

If we indeed would not get commercial problems (but has Gutenberg really not gotten any, or did they and did they fight claims successfully?), librivox.eu is also an option. I like both names and have no particular first choice purely looking at the names themselves. But I do want to rule out (as far as possible; we never have 100% certainty) any legal problems.

As for legamus not being known: I think that this is not a major problem. Most people come to the site by looking for free audiobooks. Librivox is the biggest in its kind, but when I ask people in daily life if they know it, the majority says they don't. People who sometimes listen to free audiobooks, just look on Google and find what they are looking for - often at librivox, but tend to forget the name again. Or they bookmark the site, but don't recall the name. I guess the same would be the case for legamus.eu. Once we'll get a considerable catalogue, we'll be found through the search engines, people will click around for more books, bookmark 'us' etc. As long as we very clearly point out the fact that people can get free audiobooks over here, we will be found - especially when popular titles will pop up in the catalogue.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

If there are no legal clouds on the horizon and we choose freely between legamus.eu and librivox.eu, we might consider questions like this one that popped just up in another thread: Should we allow CC licenses?

For me, choosing librivox.eu implicitly says: We're doing things exactly the same way as librivox.org. With legamus.eu we would be more independent, it would be up to us to take advantage of the six years of LV existence to possibly re-consider some things and experiment (with the danger of getting into heated discussions... though I don't see this as a big danger if we continue to be such a nice community 8-) )
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Viktor wrote:it would be up to us to take advantage of the six years of LV existence to possibly re-consider some things and experiment (with the danger of getting into heated discussions... though I don't see this as a big danger if we continue to be such a nice community 8-) )
I don't see such a danger either :) But the way we do these discussions ... Is a forum the best way? Wouldn't a 'real time' discussion be better and more efficient? (should be possible if we chose a time that's also feasible for Leni, whose morning is late-afternoon/evening for the rest of us). Skype is the simplest solution for that, I think.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

So far, for our situation, I do think that a forum is the best way. Not sure we'd find a time that suits everybody - I have some minutes every now and then, but at the moment my time is hardly plannable at all - and the person who cannot participate will always feel left out in the rain. (Just for a conference with two good friends, we sometimes need weeks of Doodle planning, and sometimes it doesn't even work then!)

And audio conversations make it very difficult to keep a protocol of the conversation for those who come later. Classic chat (IRC) would at least give us a trace, but still we'd need to find a good time.

To get the most out of the forum, one should either pay attention to the "seen/not-seen" icons or subscribe to the newsfeeds (RSS feeds). That way one can be sure not to miss anything.
Last edited by Viktor on Sun 5. Jun 2011, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I don't do Skype myself, but don't let that interfere with things. But for the record, I prefer Legamus because I like to avoid any potential legal pitfalls.

I get a lot of visits on my blog where I have a list of "British" sounding readers - it's one of the most popular pages. (Many British people have a preference for accents from this side of the pond.) And I think that we could publicize it pretty well just through blogging etc (and submitting to the Open Directory, for instance). The search engines will pretty soon pick up.

Ruth