Templates, tech specs and so on

FAQ, comments and suggestions
neckertb

Re: Templates, tech specs and so on

Post by neckertb »

Nice draft, HP! I would maybe add:
Number of sections the project will have (please note that the sections should be less than 60 minutes long)
And we should add teh 5/10 s rule somewhere.
Nadine
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Re: Disclaimer
I think we should have a disclaimer in each recording. How about:

Only for the first section:
Book Title by Author. Translated by Translator.
This Legamus dot eu recording is in the Public Domain.
Chapter/section 1 (Chaptertitle)

For all other sections:
Section # of Book Title. This Legamus dot eu recording is in the Public Domain.
Chapter/section # (Chaptertitle only when a new chapter starts with this section)

At the end:
End of section #
If you wish: Read by xyz

At the end of the book:
End of Book Title by Author, translated by translator.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

neckertb wrote:Nice draft, HP! I would maybe add:
Number of sections the project will have (please note that the sections should be less than 60 minutes long)
And we should add teh 5/10 s rule somewhere.
Good catch. I've added that.
But it's 70 min. That's what fits on one CD in wav. (So I'm absolutely pro shorter sections.)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Now that you say it, I know, it's just that 60 minutes is easier to remember. :oops:
Nadine
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Looks good to me!
Hokuspokus wrote:*** End of list ***
The rest of this template will be filled in by your Meta Coordinator (MC)
I think the rest can be kept out; the MC will copy it in later on. Thus, newbees won't be confused/intimidated by it. Of course experienced members can go ahead and fill out the MC-form themselves.
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Hokuspokus wrote:Re: Disclaimer
I think we should have a disclaimer in each recording. How about:

This Legamus dot eu recording is in Public Domain.

For all other sections:
Section # of Book Title. This Legamus dot eu recording is in Public Domain.
Chapter/section # (Chaptertitle only when a new chapter starts with this section)

At the end:
End of section #

At the end of the book:
.. in the Public Domain.

For the rest it looks fine to me! An option would be to put a phrase on volunteering for legamus.eu in the disclaimer for the first section. E.g.:

This recording is in the Public Domain.
For more audiobooks or to volunteer, please visit Legamus dot eu

The shortened disclaimer for 2nd and further sections will fit well with this as you proposed it:
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I think the sentence about volunteering, if any, should be at the end. That's when people might remember that hey, maybe they can do this too.
How about:
"Come and help! legamus dot eu!"
Nadine
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hm, maybe at the end of the book:
End of Book Title blablabla.
This audio book was brought to you by Legamus. For more informations or to record audio books yourself / help us recording audio books, please visit legamus dot eu

I've added "the". Thanks, kattekliek.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

kattekliek wrote: Of course experienced members can go ahead and fill out the MC-form themselves.
That was my idea. I do hope for a lot of experienced readers ;)
Leni

Post by Leni »

I kind of agree that we could keep just the list for people to fill in, and the MC would paste the rest of the template. Might get confusing/intimidating/etc.

Disclaimer: I am still against the "for more free audiobooks" bit. I like Nadine's more informal idea of "Come help" :D And having at the end... I don't know, I have the impression that, once the book is over, people just press stop and do not listen to the end, actually.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

It does take some seconds to press stop, and by then they've heard it already, especially if it's short :wink:
Nadine
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

neckertb wrote:I think the sentence about volunteering, if any, should be at the end.
Yes, good idea!
neckertb wrote:It does take some seconds to press stop, and by then they've heard it already, especially if it's short :wink:
True, and when running/biking etc. it's not convenient to press stop that quickly. I usually let my MP3-player switch off itself after finishing the book (or have it start some - very loud - music by mistake :shock: :mrgreen: )

Oh, and one small thing regarding the text at the end: I heard a few LV-recordings where the narator said as very last thing (in the last section): "Thank you for listening". I found that so kind! Even if not obligatory, I would like to have the freedom to put that in myself.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hokuspokus wrote:I don't mind section 0.
It's only that in most of my projects the chapter number isn't the section number anyway.
Viktor wants to build a tool that can suck metadata. Maybe sec 0 makes this more difficult?
No worries, IT people like counting from zero, but it's just a technical habit. I can start with 0, with 1, with 25, as you like :)
kattekliek wrote:Re. the Magic Window: perhaps Viktor could get in touch with the people at LV who developed that? But we don't need this kind of technology immediately; would be nice though in a later stage, when we are growing.
For database and uploader questions, I sent a Private Message to tis on LV, but without an answer yet. Are there better means to contact him, in case I've fallen into his spamfolder? Or are there other people that I should contact?
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Viktor wrote: For database and uploader questions, I sent a Private Message to tis on LV, but without an answer yet. Are there better means to contact him, in case I've fallen into his spamfolder? Or are there other people that I should contact?
I PMed you his email.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I probably won't be able to record for a while, as I have two longish solos going on LV.

One thing: if we're using keywords instead of formal genres, I think it would help if we had an accessible list of keywords that are already in use, posssibly divided into relevant blocks. It would make searching easier, and would help the readers to choose appropriate words.

I realise this may be too complicated, but I do think we need at least some consistency in how our readings can be grouped.

Peter
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

We have two projects in the launch pad and still no disclaimer.
:?: Do we agree about:

For all other sections:

At the end:
End of section #

At the end of the book:

We still need some Come and volunteer phrase. Maybe at the beginning of the first and at the end of the last section?
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I think the idea about the disclaimer at the beginning of the first and end of the last section is good :)
Why not give the readers free choice for now? As long as it contains legamus dot eu and something about volunteering?

Peter, about the tags: I think your idea is good, and the list would just grow as the amount of books grows. I think we will start a new thread with that as soon as we have something completed (in case the readers want to add/remove tags before publishing).
Nadine
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

neckertb wrote:I think the idea about the disclaimer at the beginning of the first and end of the last section is good :)
Why not give the readers free choice for now? As long as it contains legamus dot eu and something about volunteering?
I wanted to say, only the Come and volunteer phrase in the first and last section. The disclaimer should be in every section, I think.

We can have a list of possible tags in the Launch Pad. For a start there could be the genres we use at LV.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

HP wrote:Only for the first section:

For all other sections:
I think this is fine- I would maybe rephrase to:
This Legamus recording is in the Public Domain in the EU (by opposition to the US)
But of course that is not the whole truth since it is also PD in Brazil...

For the volunteering part, do we agree with the end? Or the beginning?
"Help us produce more free audiobooks"
"Come and read with us"
"come and join"
followed by "legamus dot eu"
Nadine
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I have always thought that the LV disclaimer "This recording is in the Public Domain" is highly ambiguous, and would far prefer it to state "This recording is in the Public Domain in the USA".

I personally would like to say something like:

"The author of this text died more than 70 years ago and this Legamus dot eu recording is in the Public Domain in Europe." or

"This Legamus dot eu recording is in the Public Domain in Europe, as the author of this text died more than 70 years ago."

This would also make it clear to people in Canada, Australia, Brazil, India etc. that the text is out of copyright there too.

But I'm happy to say whatever you decide. :)

Ruth