Publicizing Legamus

FAQ, comments and suggestions
crowwings

Re: Publicizing Legamus

Post by crowwings »

scout wrote: I do not wish to be a kill-joy but I really do not see the point in promoting Legamus. After all, you are the person most responsible for holding us back, ie discouraging almost every effort made to stimulate an increase in production.

Daniel
I really don't understand, what you mean ... Hokuspokus is discouraging anybody to read and publish here? I definitly don't agree with you!
Do you mean because of some strict legal regulations and limits we have because of the 70+ copyrights? Please tell us, what you mean instead of just accusing ...
"They are all dead, they just don't know it yet."
- Eric Draven

Crowwing's word counting tool
scout

Post by scout »

crowwings wrote: I really don't understand, what you mean ... Hokuspokus is discouraging anybody to read and publish here? I definitly don't agree with you!
Do you mean because of some strict legal regulations and limits we have because of the 70+ copyrights? Please tell us, what you mean instead of just accusing ...
Hokuspokus discourages efforts to generate more audiobooks, ie increase production. Most of the proof lies in PMs and—unlike some mods who do not respect the privacy of PMs—I feel it would be inappropriate of me to divulge it. However, I'm sure Hokuspokus knows exactly what I am referring to, perhaps she may choose to enlighten you.

Daniel
The quality of an audiobook of fiction may be defined by its technical quality, the author's storytelling abilities, and the narrator's ability to capture the mood of the text. — scout
crowwings

Post by crowwings »

Well, I don't know about the PMs, but I think, this is not about "producing audiobooks as soon, fast and many as possible", but about volunteers having fun, reading aloud and sharing their work. And this is just a second platform, besides LV, for enlarging the options of avoiding copyright problems.
I don't feel discouraged at all.
But I also would not like to be pressed to be more productive in the process.
And besides, the human resource here is limited and they are also "only" volunteers. Therefore, each and every second spend on this project, is like a special gift ...
I am grateful, for all the work that is already spend here and think - at the end: not the amount of books is the meter of success, but that this second platform exists and all the admins, moderators and other volunteers made this run ...and still keep it running 8-) !
THANKS!
Last edited by crowwings on Thu 5. Sep 2013, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
- Eric Draven

Viktor

Post by Viktor »

scout wrote:Hokuspokus discourages efforts to generate more audiobooks, ie increase production. Most of the proof lies in PMs and—unlike some mods who do not respect the privacy of PMs—I feel it would be inappropriate of me to divulge it.
But it does seem appropriate to you to attack someone in public based on things which it would be inappropriate to divulge?

Daniel, we all sometimes understand things the wrong way, or just do not get along with people. Works both ways - some people do not get along with us. But I do not want to see personal attacks here. This one is so unwarranted that it's laughable.
J_N

Post by J_N »

I second that, completely :) (Edit: I was referring to crowwings' post, but Victor's fits, too :))
Julia
scout

Post by scout »

Viktor wrote: But it does seem appropriate to you to attack someone in public based on things which it would be inappropriate to divulge?
Clearly you have misunderstood because it is not the content of the PMs that is inappropriate to divulge but the principle of divulging PM content. But maybe you, who without my prior consent became aware of the PM content that I am referring to, and perhaps do not share the same principles as I, would care to divulge it?
Viktor wrote:Daniel, we all sometimes understand things the wrong way, or just do not get along with people. Works both ways - some people do not get along with us. But I do not want to see personal attacks here. This one is so unwarranted that it's laughable.
If the purpose of my post was aimed at Hokuspokus then I would laugh along with you, Viktor. Alas, the only thing laughable is the continued attempts to waste people's time trying to make Legamus popular, when the activity here is so low that most people become so bored that they choose to only occasionally look in to see if the state of things is changing for the better.

You know, I expended a lot of time and energy bringing people to the forum, of which at least one completed a project. Few, if any, have been seen since. I personally look in on an average of 3 months at a time and am now considering extending it to 6 months. There are far, far better places on the Internet that are suited to social interaction, so what exactly is Legamus currently offering that will keep people visiting? Surely that is the question which most urgently needs answering.

Daniel
The quality of an audiobook of fiction may be defined by its technical quality, the author's storytelling abilities, and the narrator's ability to capture the mood of the text. — scout
J_N

Post by J_N »

Daniel,

I believe the fundamental problem here is, that we don't want to be popular as you see it... we don't want to service our listeners - we just want people to know that we exist and have something to offer, if they want it... but we are not listener-focused...

what we would really like are more readers, but they have to want to do it on their own... it's about intrinsic motivation... there is no financial or similar reward in this... all you get is the feeling of accomplishment and being part of a bigger effort (and for me, that's all I want and all I need) :)

and regarding PM confidentiality... you should see PMs as letters... they should not be read without permission of the recipient, but the recipient obviously is allowed to show them to anyone they want - that's the sender's risk...

In the end this discussion is probably futile - you are unhappy with how things are run, and we obviously are not changing whatever irks you, so seems this is hitting a dead-end.
Julia
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

scout wrote:But maybe you, who without my prior consent became aware of the PM content that I am referring to, and perhaps do not share the same principles as I, would care to divulge it?
I have no idea about the content of those PMs and I certainly won't go hunting in the database for them.
CarolB

Post by CarolB »

Hokuspokus wrote:What can we do to make Legamus better known among the listeners and readers?
Many LV readers know us already from discussions and signatures on LV. That's fine for now.
But it's a bit sad that our recordings don't get the attention from the listeners that they deserve.
Many of you mention Legamus in their blogs. That's great. What else can we do?

- adding links on Wikipedia
I'll try that.

- Open Library
I did that.

More ideas?
Daniel, please bear in mind that it was Hokuspokus who initiated this thread.
scout wrote:There are far, far better places on the Internet that are suited to social interaction
No-one is keeping you here against your will :roll:

Carol
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Viktor wrote:I'm in contact with the app developer. Very helpful and friendly discussion. It all looks good :)
The friendly discussion continued and yielded today its fruit: Our audiobooks are inside the mobile app catalogue.
Also visible here: http://librivox.bookdesign.biz/search.jsp?sortby=recent

I see increased server traffic, but so far, the server can cope nicely.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

That's fantastic!
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Good :D Hopefully, the app will be a success.

EDIT: Will the app users be able to access only the already catalogued books or also those still in progress?
CarolB

Post by CarolB »

That's great Viktor!

Thank you :)

Carol
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Piotrek wrote:Good :D Hopefully, the app will be a success.
It already is a success. The app has around a million installs.
EDIT: Will the app users be able to access only the already catalogued books or also those still in progress?
The catalogued ones. The app shows full books.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Viktor wrote:
Piotrek wrote:Good :D Hopefully, the app will be a success.
It already is a success. The app has around a million installs.
That's great. :)
Also, does the app show a notice saying that Legamus books are still under copyright in US?

EDIT: OK, I can already see that it does, after you click on a title. Good.
crowwings

Post by crowwings »

That's great news!!!
- Eric Draven

Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Recently I started exploring the website called DailyMotion. Is anyone here familiar with it or has an account there? It's a video sharing service similar to YouTube, though smaller. Also, it's based in France, not in US. This last thing gave me an idea. Would it possible to upload some of our files there or at least some promotional video? What do you think?

Plus, how is the app's popularity affecting the server traffic, Victor? Do you see any significant change?
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

We are on Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibriVox#See_also

re: DailyMotion
Some people put Librivox recordings on YouTube. As far as I can see they don't get that many clicks. I have almost no idea about video. The few things I did were a lot of work with not so good result. It's a nice idea, if some one with know hos wants to do it.
Cori

Post by Cori »

A few LibriVox recordings get lots of hits on YouTube :D :oops: I think it's worth doing DailyMotion, as another way to be seen and heard. Best not to expect too much from it, but sometimes these things do take off. For example, it might be tagged as a language learning resource (especially if someone were to sync text to speech ... although that's a heap more work than might be worthwhile. But there might be much less 'competition' out there for books in languages other than English, so ... hard to say.)
"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." — Samuel Butler