COMPLETE [POLISH] Brązownicy by Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński - hok

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
Piotrek

COMPLETE [POLISH] Brązownicy by Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński - hok

Post by Piotrek »

Brązownicy by Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński (1874 - 1941)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://legamus.eu/blog/?p=251
W tym zbiorze artykułów napisanych do "Tygodnika Literackiego" Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński stawia sobie za cel zdemaskowanie niektórych mitów i usunięcie pewnych białych plam w życiu Adama Mickiewicza i kręgu otaczających go osób. Kim była Ksawera Deybel? Co naprawdę wiemy o Andrzeju Towiańskim? Jak poeta postrzegał Rosję? Żeleński dokonuje tego przy pomocy analizy dokumentów napisanych zarówno przez Mickiewicza jak i innych polskich emigrantów z tamtego okresu mieszkających w Paryżu, Rzymie, Florencji i innych miastach Europy. Dokumenty te, choć znane są nauce, przez dziesięciolecia były przemilczane albo wybiórczo interpretowane, tak aby nie burzyć "pomnika z brązu" jakim, wedle słów Boya, stał się poeta.
W "Brązownikach" Żeleński stawia także ogólne pytania na temat prawdy historycznej i pokazuje z jak różnych powodów można manipulować obrazem historii. (Summary by Piotr Nater)
Text source: http://wolnelektury.pl/katalog/lektura/brazownicy.html (please only read from this text!)

Prooflistener: NinaBrown

Magic Window - Google.doc

Intro, Outro and Disclaimer for CC0:
At the beginning of each file please say:
[Section number] of [book title by Author]. This Legamus recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose.
(if you wish: Read by [your name]**)
[Chapter title]

At the end of each section please say:
End of [Section number]
(if you wish: Read by [your name]** )
At the end of the project please say additionally:
"End of book title by author. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Legamus.eu"

**Please add your name at the beginning or the end, not in both places.

About recording:
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
brazownicy_##_boy-zelenski.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. titleinoneword_01_authorsurname.mp3)

Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, please ask). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński
Album: Brązownicy
Genre: Speech
Track Number: Section Number (if sections are numbered from 1, section +1, if sections are numbered from 0)

How to upload your file:
Use http://ge.tt - you do not need to log in, anonymous mode is sufficient.
Alternatively, plese read this tutorial: http://legamus.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=148
When your file is uploaded, you will get a link. Please post the link here.

And now?
Please check for new posts in this thread until your section has been prooflistened.

Happy recording :)
Last edited by Piotrek on Fri 1. Feb 2013, 10:26, edited 6 times in total.
Piotrek

Re: [POLISH] Brązownicy by Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński

Post by Piotrek »

Here comes the first full-scale Legamus solo in Polish 8-)
The book has about 60 000 words. I'm not sure yet how many sections I will need, my guess is 15-17. So far I've recorded the introduction, the first two chapters and a part of the 3rd one. I'll adapt the LV intro, just give me some time. I hope to get a Polish PL somewhere along the way.

For the sake of a prospective MC, a short intro explaining what I'm up to :)

"Brązownicy" is a piece of non-fiction (originally a series of articles, later collected in a book) in which the author seeks to unravel the mysteries surrounding the life of Poland's most celebrated poet Adam Mickiewicz (who died in 1855). The title is a pun- it can mean both "bronze workers" and "myth-makers", and is a reference to those who- according to Boy-Żeleński- want to "bury" Mickiewicz as a man with all his human faults and create an idealized "bronze statue" instead, destroying or neglecting all the documents which present the man as he really was.
It's a kind of a "literary detective story" in which Żeleński analyzes available sources (correspondence, etc) and presents not only the life of Mickiewicz but also those of the people around him, Polish 19th century emigres in Paris and other places.
Hokuspokus

Re: [POLISH] Brązownicy by Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hi Piotrek,

I'm your MC for this project. Sounds very interesting. Once again I regret that I don't speak Polish.

Preparing the MW ...
Piotrek

Re: [POLISH] Brązownicy by Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński - hok

Post by Piotrek »

Thanks. Right now I'm uploading the 4 bits I have recorded so far. The strange thing is that ge.tt gives me the same link for sections 2 and 3 (I don't know about 4 yet). Is it what normally happens when you upload more than 1 section at a time?

EDIT:
Here are the links (und rechts :lol: )

http://ge.tt/2qt6fcT/v/0 Wstęp (3:25)
http://ge.tt/2qt6fcT Brązownicy (25:04)
http://ge.tt/2qt6fcT W odlewarni brązu (30:11)
http://ge.tt/41esqcT/v/0 Tajemnice pamiętnika Zofii Szymanowskiej (38:26)

The 2. and 3. links are OK. It seems they just transport you to a general view of my gett account where you can choose among 3 files.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

rechts :lol:

Got them all.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Could you add "Section 0" to the MW? I forgot to write that I marked the intro as section 0 in the ID3 tags. I hope that adding to MW is not a big problem?
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Done.
Other than on LV you should be able to do all changes you want to do.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Thanks. I filled in the MW with the info about the first half (roughly) of the book. I'm still unsure how to divide the latter part, so I'll think about sth when I get to that. It's great that I can fill the MW as I see fit- and also it's less hassle for you ;)
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Hello, HocusPocus, Piotrek
Before I get to the prooflistening I need to explore the rules regarding the recordings, standards etc. Is it the same or similar to LibriVox? Do you need dedicated listener? Are there any other Polish people here?

I have great respect for Boy Zelenski mostly for his translation of Proust - he translated all but the last volume, and the difference in the quality of translation is - to me - staggering.

From the three 'canons' of Polish romantic poetry Mickiewicz is my least favourite - maybe this book will change my opinion?

-nina-
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hello Nina and welcome :D

The tech specs and procedure is the same or similar to LV. Biggest difference is that we don't have our own uploader and MW but use ge.tt and google for that, and that special characters are OK for the tags.

I think Piotrek will be very happy about a DPL but I don't know of course if he has already asked someone.

You and Piotrek are the only Polish speakers here and we are very happy to have you!
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Hey Piotrek,
I've proof listened the first three parts - 0, 1 and 2. All good soundwise. Metadata - I believe the requirement is to mark genre as speech - this is not done. In the third one you have few typos - Tedeusz and Tajemica pamienika. In the introduction's metadata there is no space between Boy and the dash - should be Boy - Zelenski, is Boy- Zelenski, a tiny typo.
-nina-
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Hokuspokus wrote:You and Piotrek are the only Polish speakers here and we are very happy to have you!
I think we are the only ones on LibriVox too :-(
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Thanks for the PL, NIna :) It would be great if you could listen to the whole project, if you have time, ofc.
By the way, I recorded sections 2 and 3 in two sittings each. When I was editing, I found the difference in voice quality beteween the two parts to be noticeable. I'm obviously biased, though. Can you hear any difference?

@ Hokuspokus
Do you want me to fix the metadata or will you do it during cataloguing?

Re LV: We're the only "steady" Polish readers. From time to time someone registers and even goes as far as recording a test, but usually little comes of it, sadly.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

We don't have the infrastructure LV has, so a lot of stuff that is automated on LV we need to do on our own computers by hand. With the software I have installed I can quite easily fix author, CD title and genre at cataloging time but with section title I probably won't catch typos and such. So could you please fix the metadata for section 2 and I mark 0 and 1 PL OK.

Nina,
if you want to go on as DPL, I can give you access to the google.doc we have as MW surrogate with the email you used for registering here. If you want me to use another email, drop me a PM.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

The author's name in section 3 should be Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński
The section 3 title should be Tajemnica pamiętnika Zofii Szymanowskiej

Will you be able to paste this data into the relevant fields, Hokuspokus?
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

That's even better than re-uploading. (completely forgot about copy and past for a moment)
Done :D
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

I can listen to the whole project.
No, I didn't notice that the sections were recorded in multiple sittings. There were some background noises, not too many, like a car passing in a distance, it wasn't distracting.
I've done recording in sessions, I find that pausing the Audacity works better than stopping and then patching two sections together, and also re-reading the last sentence read previously and then deleting it afterwards makes the transition smooth. What's your trick, Piotrek?
-nina-
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

NinaBrown wrote:What's your trick, Piotrek?
There's none. So far, I've avoided recording in sessions for fear of patchy recordings. The only thing I do is not recording in the mornings as my nose is usually clogged then. Also, pausing Audacity is not a good option if the two sittings are on separate days, as was the case with section 3 :lol:
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

We move to Readers Found.
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

Just to let you know that part 3 reads ok. We are sorting out my write access to the Magic Window - once done I will be able to do annotations myself.
I find it a very enjoyable listening :-)
-nina-