Magic Window - sort of

FAQ, comments and suggestions
Hokuspokus

Magic Window - sort of

Post by Hokuspokus »

As a test I made a google.doc spread sheet for dii's new solo as Magic Window.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... utput=html

I tried to think of every data we might need for any sort of project (text source for collections). What else do we need? Should it be in a different order?

The link to the HTML version can be put into the first post so everybody can look at it. The link to the editable spread sheet can be passed on in a PM to the reader (BC) and DPL, so they can update.

Some people can't work with Google. docs. In this case we must keep track of the chapters in the first post.
neckertb

Re: Magic Window - sort of

Post by neckertb »

It looks good to me!
Somehow it should be possible to make this appear as a window in the first post, pretty much like the MW, I can try and see if I can figure it out.
Nadine
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

That would be great!

Dii and I did some exploring. The BC and DPL need to be added as editors. An email address needs to be entered. It's at the top of the page, where it says "Anyone with the link".
I think that shouldn't be the most personal favourite email but something like gmail or yahoo, maybe created just for such purpose.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Ha, no I cannot figure out how to do it.
Viktor might know?
Nadine
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

The magic window on LV is implemented as an HTML IFRAME element. We might need a phpBB3 extension ("mod") to support that. I'll have a look, but it might have to wait until the week-end.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hokuspokus wrote:I think that shouldn't be the most personal favourite email but something like gmail or yahoo, maybe created just for such purpose.
I second that! If anyone wants a redirection [yourname]@legamus.eu to your more private e-mail address, drop me an e-mail.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Viktor wrote:The magic window on LV is implemented as an HTML IFRAME element. We might need a phpBB3 extension ("mod") to support that. I'll have a look, but it might have to wait until the week-end.
Unfortunately, it's not easy.

In phpBB3, either you allow everybody to use the IFRAME tag or nobody. It's very easy to do very bad things with IFRAMEs, so this is definitely something that would need to be reserved for admins only. phpBB extensions for this seem to never have left the planning / alpha / beta level.

Why do I always get confirmed that this is not a professional forum software... :roll: I'm curious how LV did it.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I have a problem with the spread sheet MW for Tucholsky Sammlung.
The published html version should auto update but it doesn't. When you click on the link it still looks like the day I created it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

It works with the others I did. And I can't make it update itself. I tried to create a new one but I don't remember how to publish it. The google help page says something about a drop down that simply isn't there on my screen. I'm at a loss. :?

Even though the google docs are better than nothing they are very complicated. There must be a better solution.

To work around this problem I changed the visibility of the original file. But I'm not sure if this makes it visible only or if it allows people to edit it, too. Could someone please check?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... E&hl=en_US
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

To give an idea about time planning, I hope to be able to provide a better solution within the next three months...

Your second link does not look editable to me.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Thank you, Viktor.
So I can simply take that link for the first post. This should do for the next 3 or 4 month.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I've learned some more about Google.docs and how to make a Magic Window with them.
The HTML version we linked in the first post was very inconvenient for everyone. Now the link goes directly to the actual spread sheet, but only BC, soloist, DPL and MC can edit.

This is how MCs can do it:
When the spread sheet is ready, click on Share.
Make it visible for everyone with the link.
Klick "save"
Copy and past the link you get into this code:

Code: Select all

[color=#0000FF]  [size=150] [b][url="google.doc Link here"]Magic Window - Google.doc[/url][/b][/size][/color]
BC, soloist and DPL must be added with email address or Google ID. It works with non-Google emails, too.

For group projects it might be a good idea to have a list of chapters and readers visible in the first. All other information can be stored in the spread sheet.
gioachin

Post by gioachin »

Sorry, this may be a silly question, but couldn't the database and code at LV be reused? I would assume it is not licenced or copyrighted...
Maybe we could replace the IFRAME with another html tag and load the table "inline"?
Filippo
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

It's not so easy.
LV code has been developed over years and adapted to LV needs and infrastructure. We don't have that infrastructure, we have almost no infrastructure at all.
As much as I love the convenience we have at LV, I must say that the machinery is a bit patchy in places. It makes more sense and less work to develop something new from the scratch.