Polish

FAQ, comments and suggestions
neckertb

Polish

Post by neckertb »

I've received this pm from Piotr on LV and said i would post it here for discussion:
Hi

I've got a question about legamus. If I want to record a short story there that is under than 60 mins long do I have to wait until someone sets up a collection or can I record it as an independent project? I've recently come across a Polish short story, that I'm unable to record for LV, as it was published in the 1930s.
I visited the site and didn't notice any collections or anything like that.

Piotrek
I'm thinking this could go as an independent project for now?
Nadine
Viktor

Re: Polish

Post by Viktor »

I'd say yes! Let's take everything we can get :mrgreen:

If Piotr does not mind, we might put it into a suitable short story collection if we have one later. (Keeping all former links working, of course.)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

That was my thought also :)
Nadine
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Thanks for posting my message, Nadine. The story I have in mind is 2 300-word-long. I'm not quite sure how this translates into running time, though. Between 15 and 20 minutes, I guess.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I agree. No need for a time limit for now.
We can change that when we have enough readers so that a collection makes sense.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

OK. Now I just have to read a bit to figure out how to do all the formal stuff, such how to fill the template etc. I've never done any solo on LV...

After that I can record the section and thus... end the project. That will probably be the shortest solo ever :lol:

(why are these smileys so egg-headed? :lol: )
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Welcome Piotrek, and thanks for reading the short story! Just tell us when there is anything not working or otherwise in your way.

Yes, at some point we need better smileys, I think... for me, particularly this one :) looks more suffering or sighing than smiling!
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Piotrek wrote:OK. Now I just have to read a bit to figure out how to do all the formal stuff, such how to fill the template etc. I've never done any solo on LV...
The template for the first post is not so important for a one section solo. We only need the usual information:
Author (birth and death date):
Title:
First published: (it's not relevant for pd status, but we want to have it on the catalog page)
Online text source:

For a solo you can choose a license. Have a look here: http://legamus.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 9&start=20
Please translate the one you pick into Polish and use it in your recording.
I suggest you simply post your project in the launch pad and we talk about everything else there. I'd be happy to be your MC for that one.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Hokuspokus wrote: First published: (it's not relevant for pd status, but we want to have it on the catalog page)
Given that it was published posthumously, I assume that IT IS important in that case. I imagine that the "death+" rule becomes "publication+" for such a piece of writing?

Thank you very much for those explanations ;) I'll try to record the short story today.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Piotrek wrote:Given that it was published posthumously, I assume that IT IS important in that case. I imagine that the "death+" rule becomes "publication+" for such a piece of writing?
That depends on the country. In some European countries, maybe most of them, a posthumous work which is published _until_ author's death+70 also expires at death+70. If there's any doubt, we have to take a closer look. But if the publication also happened more than 70 years ago, we should be fine.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this rant so if you feel there's a better place for it, feel free to move it.
I'm planning to make a solo project on LV reading a selection of short stories by Stefan Grabiński, a pre-war Polish author inspired by E.A.Poe . While his short stories are pre-1923, and thus out of scope of Legamus, his novels (also with supernatural theme, as far as I understand, without having read them) were written after this cut-off date and could potentially be read for Legamus. Grabiński died in 1930s so there's no problem in this department.
The problems are as follows:
a) I can't find an on-line text
b) While I do know of paper editions of these novels which I could inspect for any copyright disclaimers, they are stocked in a library which only allows users to read materials on site.

:roll:
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

If you could find a hard copy without copyright and scan the first page, that would work, I think. would you be allowed to scan/copy those books at that library?
Nadine
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

OK, here's another one.
There's this story which MIGHT fall under the Lv scope, athough there are some doubts (see https://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.ph ... 37#p685637 ). On the other hand, it definitely IS PD for the "death+70" countries. Could I record it here, just to be on the safe side?

The title of the story is "Engramy Szatery", and it was written by Stefan Grabiński (died in 1936), an author whose collection of short stories I'm now recording as a solo for Lv. The problem is that I don't know the exact date of publication of this particular piece. The only scanned text whose date I can be sure of comes from 1925 and that's why it's a bit of a border line case from the LV's standpoint.

The story has slightly over 5000 words.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

PD in life +70 countries and doubtful in the US definitely qualifies the story for Legamus.

I plan to open a Multilingual Short Story Collection within this week. 5000 Words would be just right for this collection.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

That's great. Maybe you could also include "Widziadła" there. I bet it will look a bit weird as a stand-alone story given that there is a siutable collection.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

OK, Multilingual Short Works is open for business in the launch pad.

I don't think we need to add "Widziadła" to the collection. First, all work with cataloging it would have been in vane. Second, there won't be a suitable collection for all short works at all times in the future, so there will be short works cataloged as solos every now and then anyway.