COMPLETE Supernatural Horror in Literature by Lovecraft-hok

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
Piotrek

COMPLETE Supernatural Horror in Literature by Lovecraft-hok

Post by Piotrek »

Supernatural Horror in Literature by H. P. Lovecraft (1890 - 1937),

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://legamus.eu/blog/?p=123

"Supernatural Horror in Literature" is a long essay surveying the field of horror fiction. It was written between November 1925 and May 1927 and revised in 1933-1934. The author follows the development of the weird fiction genre, starting from Antiquity until the first decades of the 20th century and concludes by in-depth description of four writers whom he considers "Modern Masters" (Summary by Piotr Nater and Wikipedia)
Text source: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601181.txt (please only read from this text!)

Prooflistener: Hokuspokus

Magic Window - Google.doc

Intro, Outro and Disclaimer for CC0:
At the beginning of each file please say:
[Chapter/Section number] of Supernatural Horror in Literature by H. P. Lovecraft. This Legamus recording may be distributed and adapted freely for any purpose.
(if you wish: Read by [your name]**)
[Chapter title]

At the end of each section please say:
End of [Chapter/Section number]
(if you wish: Read by [your name]** )
At the end of the project please say additionally:
soon to come ...

**Please add your name at the beginning or the end, not in both places.

About recording:
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
supernaturalhorror_##_lovecraft.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number.

Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, please ask). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: H.P. Lovecraft
Album: Supernatural Horror in Literature
Genre: Speech
Track Number: Section Number (if sections are numbered from 1, section +1, if sections are numbered from 0)

How to upload your file:
Please read this tutorial: http://legamus.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=148
When your file is uploaded, you will get a link. Please post the link here.

And now?
Please check for new posts in this thread until your section has been prooflistened.

Happy recording :)
Last edited by Piotrek on Tue 15. May 2012, 10:46, edited 3 times in total.
Piotrek

Re: Supernatural Horror in Literature by H.P. Lovecraft

Post by Piotrek »

I hope I did everything the right way. If not, please tell me what I should change.
This work was first published in 1927. It consists of 8 sections, 6 of which have under 3000 words each. A good and informative read for anyone interested in weird fiction :)
Hokuspokus

Re: ~Supernatural Horror in Literature by H.P. Lovecraft - h

Post by Hokuspokus »

I only tweaked a little, adding the example file name and removed the bits that you don't need for a solo.

As far as I can see the book has 10 chapters. Do you plan to combine some of them to get 8? You can do that of course. It has pros and cons.
Avoiding repetition of the disclaimer after only some minutes. Having less but bigger files. Some people prefer that.
On the other hand, one chapter per file gives us a nice list of the chapter titles for the catalog page, whereas more than 1 chapter title looks cramped. As PL, I'd prefer shorter sections to listen to. Especially for non-fiction most listeners prefer to think about what they have just heard, before the next chapter starts. It's up to you.

When you combine chapters, you'd say section 1,2,3, not chapter.

We only need this info, but it's not urgent, only need it for cataloging.
Tags that describe the book (like: place, time, historical people/events, mystery, fairy tale, horror/ghost story, philosophy, ... :
Summary for the catalog (from Wikipedia or written by you):
Link to author and book on Wikipedia (which is missing on the list, as I realize just now):

Oh, could you please upload to ge.tt? (don't remember what you used last time, but the French hoster wants a capcha since recently, that's a bit inconvenient.

Off to create the MW ...
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Just remembered - I need you email to give you access to the MW. Is it OK to take the one you used to register here? If not, please PM me the email I should use.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

You're obviously right about the number of chapters, there are 10 of them, and not 8. I intend to record each of them separately. You can use the address I gave when registering. Will you be sending mails to me or sth?
Last edited by Piotrek on Sun 15. Apr 2012, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I won't send you emails (just the one right now to inform you that you can edit), I only need the address to give you access to the google.doc we use as Magic window.
Click on the Magic Window link in the first post and try to do something in it. When it doesn't work, you need to log in with Google. In the upper right corner, where it says log in. For me it's in German, so I guess it will be Polish for you.
If it doesn't work, please shout.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

OK, here's introduction - 9: 48
http://ge.tt/3LnAfRG/v/0
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Section 1 PL OK and very well read :)

But there is a rather loud whining sound all over the recording. I tried some noisecleaning. Please see if it's OK for you. http://w907203.open.ge.tt/1/files/9irE3 ... b?download
I used 8, 0, 200, 0,0 (from top to bottom in the Audacity noisecleaning window)

It's too hight to be mains hum. It sounds more like the sound my netbook produces. Maybe you can get away a bit from your computer or arrange things in a way that your microphone doesn't point in the direction of the computer.

About what we talked on LV, I'm very honoured by your suggestion, but I'm afraid my spoken English is by far not good enough. There are far to many complicated words in this text.

Oh, and I'm happy to go on PLing. So we can move to readers found now.
Piotrek

Re: Supernatural Horror in Literature by H.P. Lovecraft - ho

Post by Piotrek »

I used the noisecleaning settings that you recommended and it worked great :D
http://ge.tt/44BFDUG/v/0
I replaced the file.

And yea, my laptop hums rather loudly. I use a headset round-plug microphone and read text off the screen, which means that can't move away that much from the monitor, but I'll see what I can do.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Good. Thank you.
BTW, the time format in the MW is h:mm:ss
I can't convince it to take mm:ss
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

I've seen sections at LV with the duration of over 60 minutes. Keeping the duration format the way it is now may be a good idea.

As to the other details you mentioned earlier: I think I'll copy the description from Wikipedia.
Link to the author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft
Link to the work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatur ... Literature

I'll think about the tags later.

And, yes, you're right that the text is rather full of complicated words. What's even worse is that the sentences are long and complex, and it is kind of hard to read them in such a way as to keep them relatively easy to grasp. Well, at least it's hard for me. I suppose more experienced readers would probably find it much easier.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Section 2
Duration 10:10
http://ge.tt/2An1uVG/v/0
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Downloading
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

PL for section 2

5:59 missing text: Most of the ancient instances, curiously enough, are in prose; as the werewolf incident in Petronius, the gruesome passages in Apuleius, the brief but celebrated letter of Pliny the Younger to Sura

I think this section could use a tiny bit more noisecleaning.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

I added the missinig fragment. As to the noisecleaning, I know that there still is some hum to be heard, but I don't know how to clean it really. I'm not that good at noisecleaning. I don't experiment with settings because I don't know in what way manipulating any of the sliders will affect my recorded track. I just use settings people suggest- in that case I used your suggestion.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Wow! That's fast!

When you upload again to ge.tt, you get a new link for every upload, even if it's the same file with the same name.
No idea how you can find out the link when you don't have an account there. I fear it is lost in time and space. Could you please upload again?
You have more control over your files when you create a free account. You can arrange your files, delete them, add description, ...
You only need an email address and they don't spam.

Noisecleaning is a learning by doing thing. I only change the two sliders that have values other that 0 in my suggestions. The upper one moved to the right side reduces more of the noise, but distorts your voice too.
The lower one reduces the metallic jingle you get from too much noisecleaning. So the more you reduce the noise, the higher should be the value here.
Most important is the pre-listen button. Here you can hear what it will sound like with the values you choose and change it, when it's too much or too little. Then there is the isolate function. When you select this, you can listen to the noise that is filtered away and you can hear how much of your voice goes with it.
And even when you hit the noiseclean button to early, you can always undo, as long as you don't close Audacity. Just play around with it a little to get a feeling for it. Try what happens when you move one slider as much to the right as possible and the reduce until it's good. You will see, it's as easy as listening.

To be on the save side, I save my recordings as flac file, after If edited out the mistakes and before I do any noisecleaning or such. This way I can always can go back to the original when I mess it up. And when I have to rerecord a passage I open the flac file and add the snipped there, so I can do the same noisecleaning and amplification all over the file.

BTW, I really enjoy listening to this essay. There are so many hints to interesting texts in it.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Is this any better? http://ge.tt/6c9yfXG/v/0
By the way, I forgot to put "02" in the "track title" field of the ID3 tag.

Yes, I agree that this book can give a reader plenty of reading suggestions. That's the main reason why I decided to record it.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Yes, that's better!
PL OK :D

I'll check the tags before we catalog and can fix it then. It's easier for me to fix then for you to re-upload. I made a note in the MW so that I don't forget.

I'd like to ask you a favour. Could you please make a Polish translation of this text for our About page?
http://legamus.eu/blog/?page_id=33
Legamus! (Latin: let’s read together!) makes free audio books from texts that are in the Public Domain in Europe. In this context, Public Domain means that copyright has expired on the original text. In Europe and many other parts of the world, copyright protection expires 70 years after the author’s death.

Legamus readers are all volunteers, and you can volunteer too! All you need is a computer, an internet connection, a microphone and some free software. You can find more information in our forums.

Legamus only records texts that were published in or after 1923. These texts are still protected by copyright in the USA. Texts published before this date are in the Public Domain in the USA and are recorded by LibriVox.org. You can download them from the LibriVox catalogue. Please note that all LibriVox recordings are in the Public Domain in the USA, but may still be protected by copyright in other countries

Only if you want and have time.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Ok, no problem.

As to the ID3 tags, I think I also made a mistake in the author's surname in the Section 1 file- there should be only one "l" in Philips.
Piotrek

Post by Piotrek »

Chapter 3 http://ge.tt/5IwMscG/v/0 Duration: 14:00