Group - D H Lawrence - short stories-neb/vik

Solo or group efforts that are fully available for listeners
algy pug

Re: Group - D H Lawrence - short stories-neb

Post by algy pug »

neckertb wrote:I have reuploaded section 7 at Carol's request:
http://ge.tt/3FR12ZJ/v/0?c
Hi Nadine

The mp3 file on this link is corrupted - it stops playing after the first 8 seconds. I have tried repairing it without success. Could you please check if you are able to play it?

Cheers

Algy
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

I'll be a couple of days listening to these as I'm on holiday at the moment :P Luckily the pub has free wifi though so i can pop online now and again :)
CarolB

Post by CarolB »

Hi ashleighjane,

Don't rush on my account - enjoy your holiday.
I hope you're somewhere sunny!
Carol Image
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

CarolB wrote:Hi ashleighjane,

Don't rush on my account - enjoy your holiday.
I hope you're somewhere sunny!
Carol Image
Surprisingly, it has been sunny, despite staying in the UK. I got sunburn! :shock:

It's been a bit windy though.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

algy pug wrote:
neckertb wrote:I have reuploaded section 7 at Carol's request:
http://ge.tt/3FR12ZJ/v/0?c
The mp3 file on this link is corrupted - it stops playing after the first 8 seconds. I have tried repairing it without success. Could you please check if you are able to play it?
Hi Algy,
I think you got a bad download. Just downloaded it myself, it plays nicely to the end. 26:34 minutes, 25505291 bytes. Maybe the next download works better for you?
Have a good week-end,
Viktor.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Cori wrote:A Modern Lover is just arriving at: http://ge.tt/66yZ7xV
Are you sure about the link? I don't see anything ("0 files") :|
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Sorry all, I had a three day meeting at work that took pretty much all my time and missed Algy's post.
Back now :)
Nadine
CarolB

Post by CarolB »

Welcome back, Nadine!

Carol
Cori

Post by Cori »

Viktor wrote:
Cori wrote:A Modern Lover is just arriving at: http://ge.tt/66yZ7xV
Are you sure about the link? I don't see anything ("0 files") :|
Ge.tt is really not the most reliable service ever. Seems okay once a folder is set-up and a few files already in it, but this isn't the first time it's disappeared something I am quite sure I uploaded (and tested) correctly.

Trying again at: http://ge.tt/66yZ7xV
"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." — Samuel Butler
algy pug

Post by algy pug »

Cori wrote: Ge.tt is really not the most reliable service ever. Seems okay once a folder is set-up and a few files already in it, but this isn't the first time it's disappeared something I am quite sure I uploaded (and tested) correctly.

Trying again at: http://ge.tt/8FYczuJ
Thanks Cori

After a couple of attempts I was able to download both files. I totally agree with you about the unreliability of ge.tt. I wonder if their paid subscription is more robust: if so I would be willing to contribute financially. In any case I find it hard to believe that a free file server could be guaranteed to store files indefinitely.

Anyway, all the readings uploaded so far for this project are now safely stored on my hard drive.

Cheers

Algy Pug
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Section 13 is PL OK :)
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

algy pug wrote: Thanks Cori

After a couple of attempts I was able to download both files. I totally agree with you about the unreliability of ge.tt. I wonder if their paid subscription is more robust: if so I would be willing to contribute financially. In any case I find it hard to believe that a free file server could be guaranteed to store files indefinitely.

Anyway, all the readings uploaded so far for this project are now safely stored on my hard drive.
Hold through folks, no need to buy subscriptions, I did already rent a server in France, we "only" need to put an upload system on it and wire it up to the rest of the growing Legamus tools.

I always was happy with ge.tt and found them quite excellent. (By the way, storage is indefinite only for registered users, and then it's limited to 2 or 3 GB. Anonymous uploads expire after 30 days.)

Your problems with ge.tt make me think that instead of aiming for a perfect upload system in about nine months, I'd better put up something basic within the next three months!

In the meantime, may I suggest to use Firefox or Seamonkey if you're using something else at the moment? Do you use any other upload system that is purely browser-based and which works better (e.g. no operating system extensions or special software) ? The one on LV works better for you?

I'm asking this because ANY browser-based upload system can get disturbed by network issues (within proxies, routers, browsers, ISPs) which do not behave 100% properly. If such a thing is bothering you with ge.tt, it might bother you with our future system, too. (But there, at least, I control the server and might add a Java uploader :) )
CarolB

Post by CarolB »

ashleighjane wrote:Section 13 is PL OK :)
Oh, that's me!
Thanks ashleighjane!

Carol
Cori

Post by Cori »

Viktor wrote:I always was happy with ge.tt and found them quite excellent. (By the way, storage is indefinite only for registered users, and then it's limited to 2 or 3 GB. Anonymous uploads expire after 30 days.)
I have registered there and been uploading to my account, but there just seem to be some issues with uploads occasionally -- it says they've arrived when they haven't, and then if the tab's closed, that's that.
Your problems with ge.tt make me think that instead of aiming for a perfect upload system in about nine months, I'd better put up something basic within the next three months!
Basic would be nice :) Then you get lots of user feedback to help perfect it.
Do you use any other upload system that is purely browser-based and which works better (e.g. no operating system extensions or special software) ? The one on LV works better for you?
The LV one works fine most of the time, likewise the archive.org one (which I think is flashbased, though) and DropBox (though sometimes I've gotten confused about whereabouts folders are there, and it can be a little quirky between downloaded software and browser versions.)

Should we move this talk over into a general forum, or is it not really needed?
"The oldest books are still only just out to those who have not read them." — Samuel Butler
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Cori wrote:Should we move this talk over into a general forum, or is it not really needed?
Let me create the "basic" uploader, then we can continue talking in the general section :)
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

i'll read the first free one on the list. is that new eve and old adam?
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Okay, I finally remembered that I was supposed to record something here, but I'm having some issues. Anyone got some tricks on how to work out the slang in "Love among the haystacks"?
Kristin

In the bible they call 40 days and 40 nights of rain a disaster.
In Norway, we call it summer.
Martin Geeson

Post by Martin Geeson »

Hi Kristin

The dialogue is mostly in the dialect of the Nottinghamshire-Derbyshire border. I lived in that area in the 1970s.

Please take a listen to this YouTube video of local people reading from a text by an author from D H Lawrence's own home village. I hope this gives you some useful guidance with it (or wi' it, as they say in Eastwood.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7fhrimbTHk

Best wishes
Martin
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Martin Geeson wrote:Hi Kristin

The dialogue is mostly in the dialect of the Nottinghamshire-Derbyshire border. I lived in that area in the 1970s.

Please take a listen to this YouTube video of local people reading from a text by an author from D H Lawrence's own home village. I hope this gives you some useful guidance with it (or wi' it, as they say in Eastwood.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7fhrimbTHk

Best wishes
Martin
Thank you!
Kristin

In the bible they call 40 days and 40 nights of rain a disaster.
In Norway, we call it summer.
algy pug

Post by algy pug »

eggs4ears wrote:i'll read the first free one on the list. is that new eve and old adam?
Thanks Phil. Great to see you over here.

New Eve and Old Adam (both parts) is yours. Enjoy!

Cheers

Algy