Searching for a new solo

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
J_N

Searching for a new solo

Post by J_N »

I am currently looking for something to record as a solo... and while I'd like to do something around the 5h mark, everything that interests me is much much muuuuuuuuuch longer... :(

e.g.:
  • Ungeduld des Herzens (Zweig) - my all-time favourite German-language book... but with 450 pages (~120k words) definitely not a quick read :?
  • Parade's end (consists of 4 separate novels, so could be split - but probably better read by someone with a posh English accent :mrgreen: )
  • Der Prozess (Kafka) - I have just recorded "Das Urteil" for Librivox and he is one hell of an author to record... maybe it's just me, but his sentence structuring is a bit weird
so, not sure what to do... I could take the easy way out and record "Schachnovelle" and hope inspiration strikes me until I have finished with that... :roll: :lol:
Julia
Hokuspokus

Re: Searching for a new solo

Post by Hokuspokus »

Schachnovelle would be great to have.

I'm not sure if you would like that, but how about Rudolf Stratz? http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/autor/581
I quite liked Hexenkessel.
Or Bettaurer? Certainly an author worth reading. http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/autor/50

EDIT: Oh, you have already started Die Schachnovelle, toll!
J_N

Post by J_N »

Hokuspokus wrote:EDIT: Oh, you have already started Die Schachnovelle, toll!
Started - and finished :oops: that was quite a bit quicker than I had expected... but it was an interesting read!

I will have a look at your suggestions - thanks :) "Die freudlose Gasse" was very interesting... so Bettauer might be a good bet...
Julia
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I am now looking for a new project, too...

I want something short, as I am already soloing a 25 chapter book for Librivox. How do I tell how many hours the finished project will be? I like this one.
  • Magic for Marigold: text link 21 chapters, which isn't too bad, but they are pretty long Image I would love to do this as a collaborative book, but I suppose there are not enough people here :(
Rachel

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world. - Portia, The Merchant of Venice
J_N

Post by J_N »

SweetPea wrote:How do I tell how many hours the finished project will be?
By counting the words :) 1500 words are approximately 10 minutes (depending on your individual reading speed a bit more or a bit less).
Julia
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

SweetPea wrote:Magic for Marigold: text link 21 chapters, which isn't too bad, but they are pretty long Image I would love to do this as a collaborative book, but I suppose there are not enough people here :(
That depends on how many people you want in your collaboration. A few people might be interested :)
I don't know how many words each chapter is.
One way is to copy/paste each chapter into a text document. If you use LibreOffice, you find the number of words in File -> Properties -> Statistics. I just tested that - (edit: the first section of) the first chapter has 1595 words.

There might be quicker ways, maybe there are Firefox or even more general plug-ins for your operating system. But I think, the work of selecting the words of each chapter will always be there. I prefer selecting with the keyboard (Shift+arrow keys) instead of using the mouse.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thank you.

Ah! I just found an online word count tool!

So the first chapter is 6327 words :shock: , but it is divided into 4 sections about 1500 words each. I am not going to record a 50 min chapter, but if all the chapters are similar, that would be - 80 10-min sections. That is too huge for me Image

As I said, I wish I could do it as a collaborative book. Maybe in 6 years at Librivox, where there are more people ;)

I guess I'll do Anne of Windy Poplars. text link I think I'll start it as a group project, and start recording. That way if people want to help me out, great, and if not, it will end up being a solo ;)
Rachel

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world. - Portia, The Merchant of Venice
J_N

Post by J_N »

I use chrome and there is a nifty little add-on called Word Count (surprise, surprise!)- highlight the text, click, word count :) The book has about 93000 words all in all... so about 10 hours of finished recordings...
Julia
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Crowwings has a very useful wordcount tool, that gives you the approximate audio runtime and tells you when a section is too long or too short.
http://www.crowwings.com/lv/index.php?new=1
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hokuspokus wrote:Crowwings has a very useful wordcount tool
Duh! Of course! Should have mentioned that in the first place.
crowwings

Post by crowwings »

:D
"They are all dead, they just don't know it yet."
- Eric Draven

Crowwing's word counting tool
algy pug

Post by algy pug »

J_N wrote:I use chrome and there is a nifty little add-on called Word Count (surprise, surprise!)- highlight the text, click, word count :) The book has about 93000 words all in all... so about 10 hours of finished recordings...
Ha - you must be a fast talker. 8000 words per hour is about my top speed. But of course we rustic folk living south of the Tropic of Capricorn do tend to drawl.......

Cheers